Delicious Fishcakes with Tartar Sauce
Preparation time 30 mins to 1 hour
Cooking time approx 10 to 30 mins
For the tartar sauce:
200g/7oz jar mayonnaise
1 tsp horseradish sauce
½ tsp dry or made mustard
2 small gherkins, chopped
2 tbsp capers, chopped roughly
1 small shallot, chopped very finely
2 tbsp fresh parsley, finely chopped
For the coating:
100g/4oz white breadcrumbs
For the fishcakes:
1 hard-boiled egg, chopped
1 lemon, zest only
45og/1lb smoked haddock
2 tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
½ tsp salt
3 tbsp vegetable oil, for frying
1. Mix all the ingredients for the tartar sauce together and chill (any sauce left will keep for 3-4 days in a covered
container in the fridge).
2. Preheat the oven to 150C/300F/Gas 2. Spread the crumbs over a baking sheet and dry in the oven for 10-15 minutes until pale and golden, stirring
3. Peel and cut the potatoes in chunks. Cook in boiling salted water for 10-15 minutes until tender. Drain well and mash with a fork.
4. Meanwhile, put the fish in a frying pan with just enough water to cover. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat, cover and simmer for 5 minutes until
just cooked. Remove the fish with a palette knife and put on a plate. When it is cool enough to handle, remove the skin and any bones. Flake the fish.
5. Carefully mix the potato, fish, hard-boiled egg, lemon, parsley, salt and a good grinding of black pepper. Shape into four round cakes using floured
6. Beat the egg in a shallow bowl. Coat each cake in the egg, then the breadcrumbs. Reshape as required. At this stage they can be chilled for 24 hours.
7. Heat the oil in a frying pan and fry the cakes over a medium heat for 5 minutes on each side, turning once, until golden on both sides. Serve with
the tartar sauce.